How did you come up with the name Twinkle Co?
In 1983 when company founder and Chairman Willard Salemink was looking for a name for his new company he had three requirements:
- The name must be positive.
- The name must be easy to remember.
- The name must be unique and not include dredging, pumping or supplying.
Willard developed the name criteria during his early years in the dredging industry when he observed an industry littered with company names that did not meet the 3 requirements. Willard set out to form a dredge building company with a philosophy and products that were different than other dredge builders, and thus a different name was required.
Most of your dredges have cylindrical pontoons. Why?
We use cylindrical pontoons for several reasons, all of them having to do with the cylinder being the most efficient shape for flotation.
- Less expensive to fabricate.
- The round shape is inherently strong, which requires less steel per cubic foot of displacement. The volume of cylindrical flotation increases in proportion to the square of the radius. The surface area increases in direct proportion with the radius.
- Less welding = fewer chances for cracks and leaks.
- Our pontoons have several full welded water tight bulkheads that are full welded to the skin. These full welded bulkheads prevent cascading flotation failure that leads to dredges sinking.